Sunday, April 26, 2009

Old Is Cute

by Amy Platon

We just had a lovely week. My kids’ Auntie stayed with us for 7 days, which meant some much needed fun and relaxation. It’s the only thing I would change if I could do it all again, I’d live closer to family.

It’s funny what memory does. It’s like it holds out. My memory of Auntie had her pretty much stuck at oh, 45. So every time we get together, I’m surprised at how much older she has gotten.

The things I’ve noticed has me on the look out in my own life. For instance, you know you’re old when you use the window in your wallet (the one that’s meant for your driver’s license) for your insurance card. You also know you’re getting older when you spill your coffee on the floor as you walk, but you have no idea until twenty minutes later when you’re wondering who spilled coffee all over the floor. (And some of you know, I don’t drink coffee.) You also know you’re old when you say stuff like “What is a blog honey?”

I say all of this in love, and because old is cute-when it’s on someone else.

So while Auntie was here, husband and I took off for one night to relive our youth downtown. Oh don’t laugh like you haven’t done that.

Again, my memory left off when I was in my 20’s. But oddly, I didn’t feel old when we were out. We had some drinks and watched a cover band play songs older than us, and we had fun. Then we started saying to one another, "Hey, remember Barbarellas? Wonder if they are still playing the Smiths."

So we payed our tab and marched down to what has now been renamed Independence Bar. And they are still playing the Smiths! We got carded at the door (how cute) and our adrenaline was on the rise as we realized the place hadn’t really changed that much. We grabbed a beer at the front bar and made our way to the back of the club where all the dancing takes place.

We arrived to an entire club (I mean entire club) of people rocking out to Sister’s of Mercy - we were loving it. Although, as our eyes adjusted to the smoke and strobes, we began to sense something was not quite right. (No it hasn’t become a gay club – not that there’s anything wrong with that, I have friends who are gay.) But it turned out that everyone dancing was in their late 30’s early 40’s. And it was like the exact same crowd we remembered when we used to go there, only fifteen years older, fatter, and poorly dressed. Oh my god! Husband and I looked at each other and our mouths dropped. “It’s us!”














We drank our beer and he grabbed my hand - not a moment too soon. We hit the dance floor and danced like two birds splashing in the fountain of youth. We blended right in and had the best time we’ve had in forever!

Cheers - Here's to gettin' old! And having A Beautiful Life, hope I'm cute!

22 comments:

  1. That cracked me up! I have realized older people aren't looking as old to me anymore. I told my mom the other day that I can't judge how old the old people look anymore. Great post, sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, we need a night out like that! I forget how old I really am all the time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well keep on keepin' on! It's not like we have to keep reminding ourselves, but in spotlight situations, you kinda can't help but compare. Glad you like it! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Independence Bar sounds like a small slice of heaven... too funny :) I am enjoying your writing. Please don't ever spontaneously combust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy-I remember the day that teens started looking like infants (instead of peers) to me-awful! While I refuse to give in to aging, it is SO COOL that your "old" hang-out boasted the same crowd! I'm sure that WHEN you are old, you'll be super-cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your link! Aunties are the best aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh. Heh. Old is cute. As long as it's not on me. Love it! Very funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a fun post! I think I should head out and do something crazy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish we had someplace around here that would play 80's music - this "old" lady would love to get some dancing in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great night out! At least you weren't the oldest ones there with all those damn whipper snappers looking at you like you didn't belong. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun out. I need to hint to my hubby that we need a night out,too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you could always turn the lights low and blast pandora from your computer and have a night out right at home! We do it with guitar hero all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You go! I still go out from time to time and love it up. Just because I'm getting older, doesn't mean I can't have a good time. I just refuse to go to the teeny boppers clubs, there are some great spots for the 30+!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to go out dancing. :) And I still have my parents stuck at about 40, yet since I just turned 42 I know they are older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when I find a place that makes me feel comfortable enough to BELONG!

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had fun! We all should go out and enjoy ourselves. I haven't done that in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like you had lots of fun! Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, it sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that I am one year past 40, I have NO idea how old people are. I look at the new group of medical school students each July and I swear they look like they need a parent with them!

    Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete