Monday, April 13, 2009

Finding My Stride

by Amy Platon
Our Family Photo by Judy Hills

So I found myself driving somewhere and thinking of all the things I have to do. That’s what driving does to me. I plan my life behind the wheel. (And under the showerhead and behind the vacuum handle.)

So on this particular occasion, I was going over everything, and I started to panic. Not like bee in the car swerving or anything, but I started to feel overwhelmed.

Like most moms, I have this ongoing list of core values. I want to be a good mom and wife. I want to be good at my job. I want to be a safe driver. I want to be a helpful person. Blah blah blah…. You know the list - you have one too.

So, I decided that all those expectations were starting to wear a hole in my jeans - because I’ve been falling down. For example, while I’m busy being a safe driver, I’m not being a good mom, or a good listener because the kids are trying to tell me about their day or pass me their trash or asking me to look at their Play Dough creation. All while I’m trying to focus on driving.

Or lets say I want to be good at my job, and I want to be a good wife, but if I bring work home with me, then I’m not paying attention to my husband. See what I’m saying, it’s all too crazy.

Ok, so back behind the wheel. I’m driving, and getting overwhelmed. But there’s nothing I can do that minute to make things any better for myself. I’m stuck behind the wheel after all. All I can do is drive. Then it hits me. Not the random street cone thing, I was able to avoid that, but this thought. I am driving, and that is the only thing I can do at my best right now. So I drive. 100 percent focused on driving.

Once I got to work, I put the keys in my purse, and I decided that I still can’t make the other stuff any better right now - but I can do my job well. So I gave my job 100 percent while I was there. When I got home, I put the keys in my purse, and hubby was home. I was able to be a wife 100 percent while he was there.

So, I learned that if I break my expectations down to manageable parts, and give 100 percent while I’m there, then I’m hitting all my goals. (Not the curb, haven’t hit one of those in a while since I figured this out.) And the driving with the kids thing, well I’ve just let myself off the hook for that one. Driving is more important, and I can be a good mom when were safely parked.

Just thought I’d share a little something from my Mommy Bag.

More mommy bag Stories:
What's Your Story?
Laying Off the Tears
Candy Land

25 comments:

  1. I think I should try and focus on each thing while I'm doing it too. It sounds like it was working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great lesson! I'll have to try and remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some very good advice. I think mom's get themselves overwhelmed trying to do everything. I need to try to do that more often, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to get overwhelmed as well. Things seem to pile up but I like what you said about doing things in manageable parts!
    Great post!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo!!!!! Funny - those are my idea places too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lessons. I think this is how I think - thoughts all over the place. I need to find focus, just like you have. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that has to be the coolest family photo EVER!

    i struggle with balancing life's demands too. it sounds easy to do, but it really never is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Balancing things is easier said than done - I like your idea of focusing on one thing at a time and giving it 100%...love this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always hard to find a balance, isn't it? But I like the part about fully committing 100% to whatever task you find at hand.

    Driving is alot easier now that my kids are older, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's hard to balance writing and motherhood, but it's really rewarding when you manage it. Coming to that balance is wonderful and it does happen often, but briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great and a great way to manage life. :) Love that photo of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The picture is fantastic! Self timer? Your message is right on. We have to remind ourselves of this often. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photo and sound advice. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I really needed to read this today. All those 'core' values and the stress we feel over them really don't leave much time for living, do they? Thanks for posting this. Found you through Thursday 13.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is easy to get overwhelmed by it all. I just retired (I'm only 51), and am loving my new found freedom and SAHM-hood, but I am still overwhelmed by all this is around me to do! We are "neighbors" I believe... I live in Waterford Lakes. I saw reference to the Lee Vista McDs, on which I am making my assumption!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi martha....we are neighbors! great to meet u.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the picture....good luck with the balancing act!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome family photo! Love your post, I tend to try to be in too many places at once myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always having trouble managing that balance. I try to do four things at once and manage to do all of them so poorly I would have been better off just doing them one by one and giving them each my undivided attention. Parental multitasking... it's hard.

    Love your pic, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love the picture. I totally agree with you. I have come to the conclusion that in this 'season' of my life, my house will not always be clean and the laundy will not always be done, but I will always have time to be a good mother. I know that I will look back and not regret my decision! Happy ATWT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amy, so glad you stopped by my blog! So glad I found my way to yours! Absolutely love it and will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know the feeling, and I run my list through my head in the shower but sometimes we Mom's just need to slow down and re-evaluate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow..that was a great post. So true..man i also get so overwelmed...Thanks for stopping by my blog and leading me to this link. I found it very right on.
    Lisap

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this-I'm going to have to remember this when I'm feeling overwhelmed! and thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete