Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Super Dad and Captain Hell No

by Amy Platon

I’ve always known that I have some pretty amazing friends. But I had no idea that they were married to amazing men.

So, during all this economic “meltdown” stuff I’ve been hearing on the news, I have been in complete fear that if my hubby lost his job, we would be screwed. I had a plan, (here's my write-up on that one) but it had holes and I hadn’t tested it out. After all, this would be our first real family crisis. How do I know what’s gonna work and what’s not? So, all I did for a week straight as my husband’s company rolled through the layoff process was pray (or maybe it was more like begging). Anyway, I prayed that my husband would keep his job, and life would continue for our little family right where it was. Father, Son and The Holy Spirit (I think that's how it goes).

And we were spared. Husband has his job and layoffs are done! Shew, Amen and Hallelujah.

Unfortunately, my friend and her husband, we’ll call him Super Dad, weren’t so lucky. SD is the sole income for his little family of four, who came home on Friday with nowhere to be on Monday. My friend and I traded ideas from my plan, cause the way I see it, if she didn’t have one, she could borrow mine. Meanwhile, Super Dad locked himself in his home office and didn’t come out until he had two interviews lined up.

To make a long and scary 5 day story short, Super Dad went on two interviews and landed a job, right in his field. Out of work for a total of 1 week. Amazing!

And as if that weren’t amazing enough, I have another friend who is married to, oh we can call him Captain Hell No. He was miserable with his job. He was working for one of those bosses that couldn’t be pleased. And after just six months of employment, working OT out the A** and only coming home to kissing his kids goodnight, he chose himself and quality of life over his job. He submitted his resignation with no job back-up plan. He could not take another day of being away from his family. Crazy right? Captain Hell No, locked himself in his home office and didn’t come out until he had a job. Out of work a total of 4 days.

I am so proud of my friends and the men they have chosen to spend their lives with.

Those are my friends, and these are their husbands! Dun, dun…..

25 comments:

  1. When people treat job hunting like it's a *job*, things go much more quickly. :) I'm glad for all this good news! It cheered me up significantly on this very gloomy, cloudy, chilly Tuesday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I'm so happy to hear that. That's all I want for my visitors! Now come on Deena, become a wallflower and subscribe so you can be part of this party all the time! Muah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog you got here! thanks for stopping by mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome - I always freak out thinking what would we do if my hubbie lost his job. ALthough is brother was laid off (they work for the same co) and his brother found a BETTER job making about 25K MORE a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for Eric to read it! Love the names. You are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We run our own business and have had a hard time of it the last couple of years, but we haven't gone under and things look like they might be looking up.

    Good for Super Dad and Captain Hell No.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man that's wonderful. It always takes me months to find a job. Maybe it's my profession.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news. It's good to hear that guys who persevere can get a job, AND that prayer works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are REAL men. Unlike my neighbor, who was out of work for two years because he couldn't find a job "in his field", and they lost their house recently....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally, although I'm not sure if I was praying right....I think it was more like chanting, or begging! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This economy is scaring the crap out of me. Everyone I know, family and friends, are all in jeopardy of losing their jobs. I'm glad your friend's husband got a new job so fast, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With all the drama going on around us, and stories of layoffs and people not able to find work, it's really encouraging to hear of those who HAVE been able to find employment. Thanks for the emotional boost. =) And congrats to those awesome families!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great lessons - 2 different families and the endings could have been so different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choices your friends made :) And a very positive note in not-so-positive times, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! Very nicely written. Congrats to your friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is neat that they found jobs so quickly. The people looking for them can usually tell the ones that are serious about the job.
    I am glad your husband was spared his job as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. With all the scary stuff going on - it's nice to hear hopeful stories.

    So glad your hubby got to keep his job. Mine is a federal employee and I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! The best stories are the true ones! It's amazing they found new jobs so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To find a job in this economy is no easy feat. Thanks for the inspirational message.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post. I'm glad things are turning out for you. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! What amazing success stories! Good for them!!!
    And YAY that your hubby got to keep his job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gonna have to go and check out your plan - just in case, you never know! So cool that your friends have their jobs! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My mantra-"With God all things are possible."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey great post..
    And what an amazing success story in these times of depression..

    This is what i say,
    Opportunity in adversity..!!!


    And,
    yeah thanks for stopping by my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great stories of perseverance and determination - And yes I'm with you, you always have to have a plan... even if it has a few holes in it.

    ReplyDelete